Weekly Thought Archives > Callenging Conditions, Disturbing Contributions
Callenging Conditions, Disturbing Contributions
The following is taken from a Fred Smith speech memo dated 03-03-54. Fred muses about the challenging condition of his world and lists some disturbing contributions of his generation. As generally true of Fred's material, it is both timely and timeless.
- We have given the new generation:
- Religion without conviction
- Science without conscience
- Kinsey without marriage
- Excitement without achievement
- Security without effort
- Knowledge without wisdom
- Nightmares instead of dreams
- Techniques without principles
- Precepts without examples
- Freedom without responsibility
- The present without promise
- The future without fruition
- Marching orders without marching songs
- Education without motivation
- Prosperity without peace
- War without reason
- Art without beauty
- Brotherhood without Godhood
- Songs without souls
- Enterprise without enthusiasm
- Fission without feeling
- Fusions without faith
This week think about:
- Where was I in 1954 and which one has most impacted my life?
- What elements of this list am I passing on to the next generation?
- What am I going to do about it today?